Friday, November 16, 2012

Dinner and Personal Tips

I try to eat a balanced dinner with the family whenever possible. Everyone has a busy schedule and  sometimes we can't sit down together, but we try. An unwritten rule is he who cooks doesn't have to clean up. Maybe that's why I love to cook. I'm not all that good at it, but I'll try new healthy recipes with fresh ingredients. I personally follow both a heart and diabetes healthy diet and find that it has become an easy and comfortable routine.

Everyone knows about a heart healthy diet which includes no trans fats and very limited saturated fats. The less and leaner cuts of meat the better, especially red meat which has marbleized fat throughout. Good fats, such as Omaga-3s, fish, nuts, avocados, olives (oil), have been shown to raise your HDL, good cholesterol and are heart healthy. There are some in the research community, however, that advocate against them, but that's where reading and your own comfort level comes in. Less salt, less sugar, and controlled carbs are also part of a healthy diet. Dairy is a whole discussion onto itself and we'll save it for another day.

Just some personal tips: 
- Go shopping yourself; if unhealthy foods are not in the house, you wouldn't eat them
- Big salad everyday (If you have it for lunch make extra for dinner)
- Plan and make meals ahead when you're relaxed 
- Balsamic, lemon juice, fresh herbs, less sauces
- No frying
- Bring your leftovers to work and pack them when your finished eating at night      
- Bring a healthy snack to work
- Fresh fruit not juice, lots of fiber and less sugar
- Only one of the following per meal: bread, pasta, rice or potatoes and only a small portion
- Beans and/or oatmeal everyday ( I do both)
- Limit alcohol
- Health food stores have great artisan breads without sugar

Personally, I stopped ice cream, cookies and candy, cold turkey on the day I walked out of the doctor's office. A whole lot of fear will do it. An interesting thing has happened since then, however, my cravings for sweets is gone. It's been totally replaced by a need for savory, spicy and much simpler  flavors. For me, eating is now more enjoyable and tastier. I have a big appetite, and eat a lot. Yes, there are tradeoffs, I never do desserts or alcohol and bring my own food if I know there will be no reasonable choices available. 

We, you and I can't do it alone, you need a supporting crew and you need exercise. Start small, find what you enjoy, there is no time table, but there is no alternative.

I too have my weaknesses and falldown from time to time; actually this past week has been a little tough and I need to right the ship.

Thanks for listening, Don T        

No comments:

Post a Comment