Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy's path of destruction hit us hard. Our entire town was plunged into total darkness with massive tree damage and extensive power failures. The schools are closed, my work week was lost and the power company can't say when things will be back to normal. So I sit here in a neighboring town's Barnes and Noble, drinking a large coffee and count my blessings. All of my friends and family are safe and none of us had any damage to our homes. We are on each others nerves without heat, increasingly cold water showers and BBQing everything: breakfast, lunch and dinner. About 2 months ago we had major work done on our property and on the next to the last day of construction my wife and I stopped the project to have 3 rather large trees, looming over our deck and new driveway, taken down. Was it a premonition? I don't know, but we are very thankful that they weren't here to face Sandy's wrath.

Tomorrow my older son is due to arrive from DC. He plays Division II College Hockey and has games    scheduled this weekend in NYC and NJ. I sure hope that the games are cancelled. We made plans months ago to watch his games and spend some quality time together, but there's always next time.

Regardless of Sandy's destruction and inconveniences there is one thing that I must do and that is to vote next Tuesday. I know that living in a non-swing state, my individual vote has less significance, but I will vote the first thing in the morning. I strongly favor one of the candidates and really can't understand how half of the nation doesn't see it my way.


Finally, Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, is one of my all time favorite rock songs. Can you believe that they are still going strong after 50 years of touring. I know Keith Richards isn't reading My Road to Healthy Living.

Don T


No comments:

Post a Comment