Monday, October 29, 2012

Lunch, relaxed and easy

Lunch is really easy, I just bring leftovers. Before I even get up from the dinner table I start putting my lunch together for the next day. I'll  usually grab some chicken, turkey, or fish that we just finished, and left over vegetables. I'll round it out  with a starch if the veggies aren't a high starchy variety such as corn, peas, lima beans, etc.  I always bring fruit, and that's basically it. Once in a while there aren't any leftovers or I'll just feel like having a salad with a protein such as sardines, tuna, beans, hummus, or tuna. Sometimes I'll top my salad off with cheese, nuts, berries, or even some jalapenos.

At work everyone tends to eat together. It's all very casual with folks coming and going, and most of the time no one is in a big rush or under great time pressure. I leave my electronics off - no texting, emailing, or apps/games. I just take my time, enjoy my food and say a few words now and then.

On the weekends it gets a little tricky. When my son has a travel soccer game or a tournament and we"ll be away for several hours, I pack a big salad and I'm okay, but my son gets a little bent out of shape. Usually the kids and parents will stop off for lunch at a fast food spot or a diner and I'll tend to sit those meals out. I'll either give him money to tag along with his buddies or if I go, I'll just make small talk. If we're on the road and we have no choice but to stop to eat, I just do the best that I can.

If the warden granted me my very last meal on earth I can assure you it would be a big fat cheese burger, medium rare, with sautéed onions, and mushrooms on a hard roll with a large fries, lots of ketchup and a real chocolate shake to wash it down.  Until then it's lettuce, tomatoes, you get the idea.

Today I'm off from work and I just started a chili in the slow cooker. My personal chili recipe has 98% lean ground turkey breast, lots of beans, tomatoes, onion, a chili seasoning and later I'll top it off with a reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese.  It's good for all times of the day and pretty healthy.

Until next time, Don T

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment